Going Back to Basics Review of your Christian Faith
Back to the Basics
A Review of our Christian Faith
Over the last three months, we have spent a lot of time digging into Scripture and reviewing the core truths of our Christian faith. We have been using Luther’s Small Catechism as our outline for the topics each week. During this summer sermon series and Bible study, I had three goals. They were:
1. Review the Small Catechism as a basic outline of the Christian faith. Each section in the Small Catechism begins with this phrase: “As the head of the family should teach…in a simple way to his household.”
2. Become comfortable with your Bible so that you eagerly open it and read or listen to all that God wants you to know about how much he loves you and all that he did FOR YOU.
3. Have a take-home truth to apply to your daily life. The “Table of Duties” is one place to get started to see how you are to live and act the way God desires.
During this sermon series and Bible study, we have reviewed the six chief parts of Luther’s Small Catechism which are:
1. Ten Commandments
2. Apostles’ Creed
3. Lord’s Prayer
4. Holy Baptism
5. Confession, Absolution and Office of the Keys
6. Holy Communion
Along with reviewing the six chief parts of the Christian faith, we had a Bible reading plan to read through the entire New Testament in three months. How did that go? Are you nearly finished with the Bible reading plan? As with any Bible reading plan, my desire is that you work on developing a habit to read or listen to a little bit of the Bible every day.
In addition to the six chief parts of the Christian faith in the Small Catechism, there are three more parts near the end of the Small Catechism that are equally important:
1. Daily Prayers
2. Table of Duties
3. Christian Questions with their Answers
The whole point of the Small Catechism is that it’s a teaching tool, a resource to be used by parents or grandparents to teach the core truths of God’s Word to the young people in their care. Of course, the Small Catechism is also a resource that parents and grandparents can use to review what they learned years ago in Confirmation. God bless you and may you continue to hunger and thirst for God’s Word every day.
Mapleton, IA 51034
Tues--Fri 9 a.m.--5 p.m.
Pastor Chris LaBoube